Kia Ora and Hello
As many of you have seen on our News- channels, this year has been really traumatic for business owners especially Dairy and Gas station owners. Armed violent robberies and ram raids are becoming an increasing threat to businesses and as a result can cause an experience that is hard to forget or even end in death of you or your staff
. We at Integrated Consulting Limited have taken the time to prepare a safety security bulletin for all business to benefit from.Preparedness
Although you can never be fully prepared, you take steps to ensure that you are doing your best to keep out of harms way. Following are a few suggestion of being safe :
• Keep only sufficient amount of cash in your till for daily operation. Robbers go for cash as their main target
• It is understood that tobacco is the second most stolen target in a robbery. Do not overstock your tobacco cabinet. Remember if people see a full tobacco cabinet everytime, you become a high target.
• Keep your security systems operating at optimum levels to get the best results out of them. I will give more details below.
• Train and talk to your staff . It is very important to involve your staff in planning and training of possible situations if they may arise.
• Last but not the least, have a safe place and have a strategy to get their quickly. If you or your staff find themselves in a troubling situation then exit to the closest safe place.What to do if you are in a robbery situation
Being in an armed robbery is a very scary experience that no one should have to go through, but if it ever does happen to you it’s important to know what to do. On rare occassions, there have been people held who were able to scare off the robber. Others have used self-defense weapons to protect themselves.
If you have no way to protect yourself, the only choice you have is to cooperate with the armed robber. This infographic shows how to do just that. Most importantly, you have to remain calm and do everything the person demands you do. If you panic or rebel, you could put yourself in danger and get hurt, or even worse.
It’s also important to remember what the armed robber looks like and what he or she touches, so that you can inform the authorities once it’s all over. Not only will they be able to put together a drawing of the robber, but they can hopefully life fingerprints from the items touched.
1. Stay calm and try not to panic
2. Do not take risks. Avoid sudden movements and explain any overt actions you are about to make. An armed criminal can be unpredictable and/or ruthless.
3. Do not ‘have a go’. Goods and cash can be replaced. Your LIFE and that of your colleagues and customers is paramount
4. Do exactly as you are told
5. Do not become involved. Avoid confrontational eye contact with the raider
6. Walk away from the immediate area, but only if there are barriers between you and the offenders.